Anyways, this update contains everything that has happened since update #0.
The changelog fetching code has been added to update-manager. This means that the changelog will be shown in the details section now and should look the same it looked before. However, I have only written that code for Debian so far, but the Ubuntu part is on my TODO list.
The documentation has been updated and uploaded to alioth and can be viewed here. I have set up a python environment on alioth which allows building the documentation directly, rather than building it locally and uploading it then. Basically this works by having a separate python packages directory, containing some mock modules that are needed (think gtk and friends here), allowing us to build the docs without having to install all dependencies.
I am planning on elaborating on this method and how to create such an environment in one of my upcoming posts, so stay tuned if you could use something like this too.
Additionally to this environment the documentation has been updated a great deal, including more modules and containing documentation for previously undocumented methods and classes.
I have reworked some aspects of the UpdateManager.Application module, allowing me to do unit testing on pretty much every aspect of the class. The problem I fixed here is that Application directly called sys.exit when something went wrong and now raises exceptions, which contain the status code and are handled in the respective scripts (ie. "update-manager").
Gtk Frontend and updates from another thread
One thing I fixed was the problem caused by the changelog fetching code running in a separate thread and invoking a callback function that updates the UI. It seems as Gtk isn't that happy when you do this and the UI wouldn't be updated immediatly (it seemed that this only happened after some events, like scrolling the update list). This has been reworked and the callback function now checks if it was called from the main thread or not and calls gtk.gdk.threads_enter/_leave accordingly.
After finishing the changelog fetching code I added the ChangelogViewer widget from previous update-manager versions again, supporting creation of links to launchpad and debian bugs (ie. LP:NNNNNN and Closes: #NNNNNN are now links) and displaying the version number in bold, among other things.
Weeding out UpdateManager.Frontend.Gtk.utils
Initially I just copied over the utils module from old update-manager to the new implementation, leaving every single function in there, but now I decided to weed out the module. The result is that only the functions actually used by this implementation remained in there. Related to this documentation of that module is pending and on my TODO list.
After a chat with my mentor we decided to bump update-manager's version to 0.200-pre. This should make it easier to distinguish from the old version and indicates that a lot has changed. The first release following the -pre series will be 0.200.0, which should then include all functionality old update-manager included.
My TODO list for next week
Ordered by priority
- Documentation of UpdateManager.Frontend.Gtk.utils and .ChangelogViewer modules
- Ubuntu Distribution Specific code
- More unit tests
- Update list downloading in Gtk frontend