As I wrote in my last post I noticed a few problems with Android's roaming detection code and decided to try fixing it myself.
So, I am basing my work on CyanogenMod, which I am also using on my Android device. My repositories are hosted at github.com/speijnik and you can fetch (nearly) everything you need for building by using repo. See the README file in my android repository over at github for details.
For now only the simplification of the roaming detection code has made it into the repository, but be aware that even though I have published the code I still have neither built nor tried it, as I do not have a working build environment set up yet.
Oh, about the working build environment: there seem to be problems with either the webkit code in the Android repositories (unlikely) or with building that code on Ubuntu 9.10 x86-64 (more likely). Right now I am downloading Ubuntu 8.04 LTS i386 for use in a virtual machine. I will let you know whether that fixes my problems or not.